What is Turnitin?
Turnitin is an online software that helps support the development of your skills in preparing written assignments.
How does Turnitin work?
Institutions license Turnitin on an annual basis. Students are granted Turnitin accounts and can submit papers only after an instructor sets up a class and register them as students to that class.
Usage of Turnitin
All graduate students are provided with Turnitin accounts during the time they are enrolled in their respective graduate program to aid them prepare their academic written assignments. Students are encouraged to regularly use Turnitin to improve their research and writing skills.
Originality Check compares the text of the submitted paper to a vast database of 24+ billion pages of digital content (including archived Internet content that is no longer available), over 250 million papers in the student archive, and 120,000+ professional, academic and commercial journals and publications. The software is regularly updated. The Originality Check provides both the instructor and student with a comprehensive view and deeper insight into the student’s writing.
The Originality Report provides a summary of matching or similar areas of text found in a submitted paper. Similarity is given as a percentage number. The higher the percentage, the greater the amount of text in the submission that came up as matching against information in Turnitin’s repositories. The percentage range runs from 0% to 100%. The percentage is generated by the amount of similar or matching text compared to the number of words in the submission in total.
- Originality Reports are typically completed within 10-15 minutes for the first submission, but may take longer if there is heavy usage or very large submissions. Originality Reports for any resubmission will require an additional 24 hours to generate.
What does the Similarity Index mean?
The color of the report icon is linked to the percentage range and is based on the amount of matching text found by the repository comparison.
Warning: These indices in no way reflect Turnitin’s assessment of whether a paper contains plagiarized material or improperly used material. The Originality Report provides instructors with a tool to more easily locate matching or similar text within the text of a submitted work. The determination and adjudication of proper citation and plagiarism are left solely to the instructor and institution to which the work was submitted.
GSM students should carefully read the information about interpreting the Turnitin Similarity Reports on the URL below before submitting their Research Project.
Setting up Your Turnitin Account
All students receive an announcement email from Turnitin with instructions how to setup their account.
The following information is required to setup your APU Turnitin account sop lease make sure that you correctly enter it.
- First Name: Your full name as printed on your student ID card
- Last Name: APU User ID (the part before @ mark of your APU mail address)
- Email Address: ********@apu.ac.jp
*You should setup your password yourself.
- If you cannot find the email in your Inbox, please also check your Spam folder. If you still have not received the announcement email, please contact the Academic Office.
English Proofreading and Editing Service Providers
APU does not provide English proofreading and editing services. However, students who want to improve their writing on their own may refer to the list of service providers below.
The services of each provider may be utilized by accessing the respective links below. Researchers affiliated with APU are eligible for a discount when utilizing said services.
- 1. The aforementioned services are provided solely by external service providers, not APU. Each service provider offers a variety of services at different prices. Please be sure to read through their website carefully prior to utilizing the services.
- 2. The featured links provide access to the websites of the corresponding service provider. The websites are mainly in Japanese. However, certain providers do offer services in English. Please contact each service provider directly to inquire.
- 3. Please contact the service providers directly for inquiries regarding the content and costs of services provided. The Research Office is unable to attend to such inquiries.
- 4. Researchers who wish to utilize these services using their Grant-in-Aid funding and/or other research grants should consult with the Research Office in advance.
Editage, the flagship brand of Cactus Communications, has provided researchers around the world with English editing, translation, publication support and academic communication education services since 2002. The company has branch offices in Japan, US, UK, China, South Korea, and India, and has covered every academic subject area. Their teams of editors and translators are one of the world’s largest and engaged in supporting researchers in publishing and disseminating their outstanding research findings to the world.
Since 1995, edanz has been ensuring English research papers are error-free, scientifically accurate, and ready for publication. They personally assign you an experienced subject-matter expert who will make sure the novelty and significance of your research are clearly communicated. They check for any grammar or language issues, and make sure your manuscript meets target journal guidelines. All edanz experts have verifiable publication records and can provide advice and comments to help you meet your publication goals. You also get a free second round of editing and the chance to ask questions of your expert questions. Edanz’s knowledgeable and caring author support team is with you at every step from start to publish.
Enago is a global leader in providing scientific and academic editing services to researchers. They help researchers in more than 125 countries publish their papers in high-impact factor journals. They edit 80 to 100 papers of Japanese universities, academic societies and research institutions every day. Their most attractive offering is that two native English editors proofread your paper to ensure quality at reasonable prices starting at 4.5 yen per word. There are additional discounts offered to APU so that you can use the most reasonable editing service in the industry at even lower prices. They also provide translation and other publication support services that improve your chances of publication success.
- The information on the special discount is only available on the Japanese website.
Forte specializes in providing high-quality editing services to doctors, researchers, scientists and engineers. All of their editors are native speakers of English, have strong academic backgrounds, and have years of experience in their respective fields.
- Abstracts (up to 600 words) can be edited in as little as 4 hours.
- 20% discount as part of Forte's Student Support Program
- You can request the same editor to ensure consistency