This website has been renewed.
Please click here to visit our new website:
Summer APU Gateway Program
Discover Japan and the Asia-Pacific...
...in APU's Intensive Japanese Language & Asia Pacific Studies Program. The Summer APU Gateway Program offers intensive Japanese lanuage courses from beginner to intermediate level. Furthermore, with this opportunity, you can not only expand your knowledge of Japanese and Asia-Pacific cultures but also deepen you intercultural understanding through studying alongside students from over 80 countries and regions!
Spend your summer at the international campus of Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University (APU) in Beppu, Japan and improve your Japanese skills!
The deadline for 2012 program applications is March 5. Apply now!
- Intensive beginner's to intermediate Japanese language courses (Twelve 95-minute classes per week).
- Experienced instructors.
- Interchange with APU "Buddies"
- Activities on and off campus such as tea ceremony and weekend home-stay.
- Overnight field trip to Nagasaki.
- Access to one undergraduate academic course (additional fee will be charged)
- Official transccript issued
Japanese Language Courses (6 credits)
Three different levels of Japanese Language Course are available to meet with each applicant's needs. So no worry if you just started going to learn Japanese or want to study further about the language!
- Japanese Course Syllabus (PDF)
|Japanese A||For students who are studying Japanese for the first time.|
|Japanese B||For students who have completed approximately 150 hours and are proficient in reading and writing Hiragana, Katakana, and approxi- mately 150 Kanji characters.|
|Japanese C||For students who have completed 300 hours and can read and write approximately 300 Kanji characters.|
You may take one academic course from the college of Asia Pacific Studies (APS) or International Management (APM) with an additional fee of JPY 43,000 per 1 credit. The Summer APU Gateway Program Japanese Course is a 6 credit language subject which meets 12 times a week. If you decide to take an academic course, you will have 2 additional classes, for a total of 14 classes per week.
- Academic Courses in English (PDF) - This is a sample list from past years' programs. Courses offered are finalized in mid-April.
In order to be qualified for applying to Summer APU Gateway Program, the following requirements must be fulfilled:
- English requirement for non-native speakers: Minimum requirement of TOEFL PBT 550 or CBT 213; TOEIC IP 730; IELTS 6.0.
- Students from the U.S. and other countries which have Visa Exemption Arrangements with Japan may not require a visa. Students who intend to stay in Japan after the completing the program should contact the APU Academic Office and the nearest Japanese Embassy.
- Medical insurance should be purchased in the student's home country before arrival. APU Insurance Policy for short-term students will be sent after acceptance.
- Please refer to the apply section for necessary application documents.
Applicants must also meet one of the following two requirements:
- Applicant must be enrolled in a Japanese or foreign university, or equivalent institution of higher education, during the period including the date of application utntil the date of program completion.
- Applicant must be a graduate of a high school or other secondary education institution, or he or she must have completed 12 years of school education in a foreign country, or equivalent schooling, and must be scheduled to enroll in a two-year college or four-year university in Japan or another country.
In the second case, applicants are required to submit additional application documents. Details can be found in the apply section.
Program Schedule and Fees
|April 19||Program Fee Payment Deadline|
|June 3-5||Program Orientation|
|June 6||Classes Start|
|August 1||Classes End/Closing Ceremony|
|August 2-3||Check out/Departure|
(Tuition and Program Activities Fee)
|Registration Fee||32,500 yen|
|Housing Fee||94,000 yen|
|Bank Transfer Fee in Japan||1,750 yen|
* Fees for year 2012; subject to change.
** Meals are not included in the program fee.
I thought it was a great program. I got to meet lots of people, had great teachers, experience an entirely new culture, and improve my Japanese significantly. If I had to choose whether to do this again or not, without a doubt I would have done it again.
- 2009 participant
8 weeks of intense Japanese study mixed with countless unforgettable cultural activities all set in a picturesque environment. If you come into the program with an open mind and a willingness to step out of your comfort zone, then this is guaranteed to be a life changing experience. It was for me!
- 2008 participant
- See more images and comments from our Exchange Students
Application Documents must arrive no later than March 5, 2012.
- 2012 Application Information (PDF)
Your Application must be accompanied by the following documents:
- Gateway Program Application Form (DOC)/(PDF)
- Proof of Application Fee Payment
- Passport Copy
- Two passport-sized photos(4cm X 3cm)
- Certificate of University Enrollment
- Official Academic Transcripts (if the issuing institution does not use a standard Grade Point Average (GPA) scale, please attach a conversion chart)
If you are currently not enrolled at a university, the following additional documents are required:
- Evidence of 12 years of elementary and secondary education to prove that this has been or will be achieved by the time of program commencement. (e.g. High School Diploma, School Leaving Certificate, Certificate of Prospective Graduation/Completion etc.)
- Recommendation letter(s) from a former/current school
- Copy of an acceptance letter from the university you are scheduled to enter.
Please submit your complete applications to the Academic Office by March 5, 2012.
Send to:Summer APU Gateway Program
Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University
Jumonjibaru 1-1, Beppu, Oita
Postal code: 874-8577
We look forward to receiving your applications!
For further information about this program, please contact us at email@example.com
Student Exchange Top
Independent study abroad